RSVP for our meeting Saturday November 28th at 2pm pst/5pm est 10pm GMT by DMing us at @AaronSwartzDay on twitter or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Or join our discord – where we will also post the meeting link:
Likewise if you wish to start working on a project – we’re adding contact info to this page for all projects daily, but if you write us we’ll contact you immediately if the info you need isn’t up yet :)
Hackathoners – you will have an ongoing opportunity to share your projects with the community– during our new weekly Aaron Swartz Day virtual meetings that will start November 21st at 2pm pst/5pm est and continue, every Saturday, thereafter.
We will be adding projects every day and listing them here. If you wish to include your project – let us know – and, if you’d like, you can give a little presentation about it, during our super short weekly meetings.
Videos re: projects from November 14, 2020 event:
Below are direct links to the hackathon talks within the recording of the youtube stream, by speaker/subject. We will have higher resolution versions of everything soon, so if you’re interested in footage for a project or movie, just let us know.
- Dave Maass, EFF – Atlas of Surveillance – Background
- Dave Maass, EFF – Atlas of Surveillance – How volunteers can help crowd source data
- Will Howes, Aaron Swartz Timeline Project
- Lisa Rein, Aaron Swartz Day Police Surveillance Project
- Lisa Rein, SwartzManning VR Museum, Art Gallery & Funhouse
- Internet Archive, Internet Archive’s Scholar – Help the Internet archive test their latest alpha search tool & give them detailed feedback.
- Danny O’Brien’s “People’s Pollster” talk from our November 14 event —- Danny can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org – and if you don’t hear back let me know and I’ll get his attention. Let’s build this project!
- Danny is completely open to collaborating on building this project. Now. For realz.
- Note that Aaron Swartz did this for real; and had an actual prototype that gave reasonably good results. So if you want to follow in Aaron’s footsteps, here’s your chance. It could be super important in the 2022 mid-term elections, and in all elections, moving forward. ok thanks!
Here are the ongoing projects from 2019 that you might also be interested in:
- Open Library (User Testing, Programming, Writing/Research)
- Internet Archive Experiments (Programming, User Testing, Writing/Research)
- #ASDPSP – Aaron Swartz Day Police Surveillance Project Surveillance Journalism Project! (Writing/Research)
- RSS News Reader Revival (Programming, Writing, Research)
- Internet Archive APIs
- Swartz-Manning VR Museum
- The Society Library
- Your great project here!
The Open Library was created by Aaron Swartz and the Internet Archive, to provide a web page for every book.
A showcase of community made experiments built with data and services from Archive.org.
In order to confirm the existence of surveillance equipment by law enforcement, the public has to file information requests that ask explicitly for each piece of equipment. In most cities, law enforcement is not even required to have a policy regarding the usage of surveillance equipment or the public disclosure of that usage. Police Departments will never be required to have a policy on the purchase and use of surveillance equipment unless there is public outcry for them to do so. So, let’s get organized and systematic about generating as much pubic outcry as we can. :-)
The Society Library’s mission is to archive and contextualize humanity’s ideas, ideologies, and world-views to present to the public in sincere inquiry after truth, understanding, and education. Our mission is an educational one, therefore we aim to be objective by processing information through an inter-coded content analysis platform to detect and defend against our potential bias as we systematically identify, organize, and present information in the library.
The Society Library’s current project, the Great American Debate, maps the over 170 debate positions about climate change in the United States.