Remembering Aaron, 10 Years After
When: 6pm – 9pm PST, Weds, January 11, 2023
Covid Policy (New Covid Policy as of January 5, 2023 – due to extreme weather conditions)
Join us, and our special guest, Timid Robot, Creative Commons’ Assistant Director of Technology, who will be there in person, as we test out a development version of the new Creative Commons “CC Legal Tools” and “Chooser beta.”
Members of the newly established Aaron Swartz Institute in Brazil will also be there remotely.
It’s hard to believe it has been 10 years. A lot of things have changed since 2013, while some things feel like they haven’t changed a bit.
Over this last year, many people have been thinking about this sad anniversary, and its significance, and expressed a desire to be together on that day.
Although there will be several testing projects to work on, there’s no pressure to work on anything, if you’d just like to stop by and have some pizza and hang out with us.
That said, we are hoping to channel our sadness into some great direct action over this next year in Aaron’s honor.
So with all that in mind, we invite you to join us as we remember Aaron and kick off a busy year of Aaron-inspired “10 Years After” projects.
We encourage everyone to think of their own “10 Years After” projects and even have their own events, ideally, all over the world, on January 11, 2023, in Aaron’s honor.
Just think about what you might be inspired to work on in 2023, and we’ll try to spread and word and support your project however we can. If you let us know about your project or event, we will post it on our “January 11 Events” and “10 Years After” pages.
We will have a group Jitsi call going that night with all the Jan 11 events connected on it. (So, far, there’s just San Francisco and members of the new Aaron Swartz Institute in Brazil. (Link goes to their presentation from November 13, 2022.)
The Aaron Swartz Institute in Brazil is also having its own online event – at 3pm PST, here: https://eventos.institutoasw.org/
New policy as of January 5, 2023
- Due to extreme weather conditions, we are moving the food and drinks INSIDE. We still encourage wearing a mask indoors unless you are actively eating and drinking.
- Everyone will be required to take a covid test in the foyer, upon entering the building. (Not before entering the building, since it will likely be pouring rain outside.)
- Note that the foyer where people will be taking tests is separate from the meeting room area.
- We are not checking people’s vaccination status (like we did in November), since we are testing everyone on the way in.
- We will be meeting downstairs where the hackathon took place in November.
- Remember to bring your laptop if you want to participate in the Creative Commons testing project.
- We will make a few announcements and pass the mic at some point, if anyone wants to share their thoughts about Aaron or their “10 Years After” project.
- There will be pizza and drinks outside, and there’s no pressure to work on the testing project, if you’d like to just eat, drink and hang out.
- There will not be a livestream, but we expect to have some video from the event that we will post afterwards.